about beanies

A little bit of history...

Mount Joy was named after an Irish supply ship when Scottish Presbyterians left Ireland to settle in America. Settlers eventually established plantations and inevitably villages were created. In the early 1800’s `Mount Joy’ was one of three main villages. Construction for the Harrisburg-Portsmouth-Mount Joy- Lancaster Railroad began in 1834 and the first train came through in 1836. Common to the time, local businesses consisted of blacksmith shops, taverns, hotels, and other businesses to assist in farming. Beanie’s Bar & Grill was originally known as Plummer House but an exact date of the structure is unknown. The building does not appear on an 1858 map but does appear on an 1864 map. Therefore the building is well over 100 years old. Through the years the building has operated as a tavern, hotel, shed and stables. Charles Willer operated the building in 1902 and M.A. Spickler was in charge in 1907. In 1927 Chet Armstrong bought the building which was then a hotel known as Washington House. He had a famous reputation for preparing seafood. He could often be seen behind the building killing large turtles to make his well known and desirable turtle soup. After he died, the hotel went through several owners. In the 1970’s, it was known as the Beef Inn. In 1993, Wanda purchased the building and named the establishment Beanie’s Bar & Grill, Beanie a nickname her father fondly called her. Today, Wanda is proud to own an establishment, which has served the community for almost a century and a half.

P.S...

With the rich history of the building, it is no surprise many employees have been witness to strange occurrences. Apparitions of a woman in white near the kitchen, a young boy thought to cause mischief near the bar, doors opening on their own, unexplained voices and feelings of apprehension are some experiences of the staff. In the winter of 2010 the Spirit Realm Investigation began to research and investigate the building. Unexplainable heat anomalies, orb anomalies, a door opening on its own, voice recordings and a dark shadow in the shape of a man are some occurrences the Spirit Realm Investigation team documented. Thank you for dining with us. We hope you enjoy the food, drink, company and atmosphere!

Hours

M-F 7am-2am - Kitchen open until midnight
Sat 10am-2am - Kitchen open until midnight
Sun 12pm-12am - Kitchen open until 11PM